Sunday, May 2, 2010

Building Zaku II v2.0's the hard way

Sometimes I challenge myself and do some really hard things just for the heck of it. This might be partly due to the X-COM series, which some of you who know me, am a fan of. The first three games in the series are very harsh on beginners. So hard that many new players will often have to rely on save/reload to beat it. Nutters like myself, who want to make it harder, make occasional self-imposed challenges to just plain make it harder for the heck of it. From time to time I appear to extended this idiosyncrasy (or perhaps a case of masochism?), just for the heck of it, on other aspects of my life. Mostly on other computer games. But now, I've attempted it with model kit building. For the first time ever, I've built two 1/100 Master Grade MS-06J Zaku II v2.0 model kits completely without once referring to the manuals. Welcome MS-06F #2 and MS-06J "White Ogre" #2 (Blue Eye) to the family. Note: The photo for the MS-06F may appear to be cut in half if viewed from the main Blog window. Just click on it to open the full image directly from my Photobucket account. Now, I will admit that I have had practice in the past. At least 10 variants of these guys so far, so it's not as if I started blindly. Also their basic frames are the same and differ only in minor details. There are still hundreds of bits of pieces to put together and it's been months and months since the last build. The one thing I found about this fun feat was that the entire build process was so much faster. Normally I can take about 8 hours to build one. I think I only took 5 - 6 hours this time. After this, there are still five v2.0 Zaku's, 1 v2.0 Gouf (based on the Zaku 2.0 frame), a 1/100 and 1/144 MS06F2 that are waiting to be built. Still need to get a Geara Zulu, which is very Zaku-ish. I do declare that I have a serious case of Zaku-Zaku-mania. I suppose it is better (and probably cheaper) than alcohol addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment