Thursday, December 11, 2008

Some rambling on learning to drive

I'm only a few years away from 30, and I'm just learning to drive. It's hard, and I'm still making ridiculous mistakes, but I'm getting there. I've chosen to learn on a manual gear stick, so I've upped the difficulty level for myself. But in a way, that'll make it easier to transition between Auto and Manual vehicles. I'm probably 10 years too late to be starting now. Procrastination and thinking I'll have time for it later are the culprits. For those still under 20 please take my advice and learn to drive sooner than later. Funny though it may seem, you'll have more time to learn it then than you will once you get a full-time 9 to 5 job. Even if you have a school, university or college load on your plate, you'll generally have more free time on hand. So make the best of it while you can. Once I have a license, and once I have a car of my very own (well, I am part owner of the family van), I'm pretty sure new avenues in life that were closed off before. For now, it's practice practice practice. Getting better at hill starts and getting the feel of those accursed roundabouts all the while trying to avoid all those insane and inconsiderate drivers that rage at you even though you're clearly marked with an L plate. As an aside, it's strange how getting behind the wheel can have a Jekyll and Hyde effect on some people. Outside they are fairly normal people. In a car, they turn into demons if you were to but hesitate for one or two seconds before taking off once the lights have gone green. I guess people are trying to move way too fast in this day and age. Ramble off.

2 comments:

  1. Heh, I remember learning to drive - the corners felt so fast back then, like the car was gonna suddenly lift off and fly away from the road...

    The more you drive the slower it feels. You speed up more and more as it gets easier and easier.

    That's not the trick, though. The thing is to not get too confident. That's when you'll discover the true limits of what the car will do (by going off the road for real).

    Use every excuse your L plates give you in order to drive as slowly as you feel like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, the vehicle always did feel like it was going to just fly off the corner when going around it. Getting better though. The shakes are gone, or don't tend to last as long now after I get out of the car!

    For now, it's mainly the careless minor mistakes that I need to watch for - like remembering not pulling the handbrake to stop the car at a rising intersection when I know I'll need to do a hill start. At least not until after the car has stopped.

    But that's just part of the learning.

    ReplyDelete