Friday, January 9, 2009

The years accumulated in the cupboard

I was going though some of my old junk that's accumulated in my cupboard - I need to make some space. Old newspaper clippings, airline magazines, an ancient Archie comic, high school yearbooks and a whole bundle of things from my high school days. Some old blurry photos - I was a hopeless with the camera back then. Much of this stuff dates back an entire lifetime 15 years or more - which is a lifetime when you consider that was the age I was when I gathered much of this stuff. I discovered that I'm a slave to nostalgia. I just cannot bring myself to throw most of it away. Oh, certainly my old test papers with low marks went out without a thought. Even the rest of the stuff may not have any value, now or in the future. In fact it'll probably be of little value to anyone else but me. But, I still want to hold on to them, so that I can remember. To remember back to a time where today would seem so far away. To remember the abundance of friends that I had back then that I can no longer see again now that we've grown up and gone our separate ways - and some of us have migrated to other countries since then. I know one shouldn't be held down by the past but, I think I'll pick out the ones that are most meaningful and hang onto them for a little longer. I'm a sentimental fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment